Sunday, February 20, 2011

I Am Number Four- a movie review

I was a huge fan of the book when it first came out. I passed it on to my brother, and he loved it too. And then I heard it was going to be a movie, and I squee'd. And then I heard it was going to star Alex Pettyfer, and I almost keeled over with glee. Surely, this was going to be the best movie of the year.
The best part was, i was going to get to see it for free.
So I recruited my friend, who has a car and is legally allowed to drive it, to come with me. We got thoroughly lost there and back, because it was on the other side of town, but we persisted, and we found ourselves at an unfamiliar cinema, lined up with a whole bunch of people who, like us, were lucky enough to score advance screening tickets. In we went, toting our (not free) popcorn and drinks, and sat down to await the movie.

It was a good movie. Personally, I thought Alex Pettyfer was a bit old for the role he was playing, and some parts were altered significantly to fit into the reduced storytelling capacities of the medium of film, but overall it was reasonably faithful to the book and had all the right elements to appeal to each member of the audience- romance, drama, action and aliens, all pieced together and scattered throughout, just like in the book. The cast members are not people I would have chosen for their roles in general, but that always seems to be the case in adaptations- nobody ever  looks just how you thought they should. And the special effects were interesting, if not particualrly unique. Overall, I do reccommend you go see it if you're a fan of the book, or any James Patterson YA novels, and I did end up enjoying it despite its flaws.

Here's the trailer, if you're interested:

No comments:

Post a Comment